Our Origins

Our Origins

IRSINA

Formerly Montepeloso, has ancient origins. The town sits on land that once belonged to the Enotri and then to the Lucani, during the Roman Greek period was a flourishing center.

There are numerous archaeological remains, pots, Magna Graecia and Roman coins, weapons, ornaments, and relics of various Italian Greek workmanship, found inside and outside the town, which testify to the ancient greatness of Montepeloso.

About its medieval history is news from dall'895 AD, when the city was overrun by the Saracens who, in their attempt to invade the Principato di Benevento, in fact they occupied many towns of Lucania, including Montepeloso.

In 1042 was the scene of a great battle between the armies of the Byzantines and the Normans, after which the city came under Norman rule. In 1123 Pope Callistus II elected Montepeloso as seat of the bishop, After the Normans came the Swabians with Frederick II (early thirteenth century.), which strengthened the walls around the city and built a "beautiful castle" then donated, according to tradition, to  S. Francesco d' Assisi in 1228. With the coming of the Angevins Montepeloso passed into the hands of De Balzo family, after came the Aragons  with which the city is headed for a slow political decline.

In 1799 Montepeloso led by the Duke Giovanni Riario Sforza and Monseigneur Arcangelo Lupoli joined the Neapolitan Republic formed in Naples under the influence of reformist ideas of the French Revolution. In 1821 the large estate Montepeloso passed into the hands of the grandson of Giovanni Riario Sforza Donna Giovannina Sforza, who was married to Count Laval Nugent, general of artillery of the Austrian Empire. Finally, a last date marks the country's history, 28  March 1895, when a royal decree signed by King Umberto the old name "Montepeloso" was replaced with the current name Irsina.

TRICARICO

We don’t know the date of its foundation. Within the confines of the city there are archaeological remains dating to the VI-V century BC. We do not know the date of its foundation. Within the confines of the city there are archaeological remains dating to the VI-V century BC But the first documents date from the time of the Lombards in 849, with the presence of a fortified citadel.

It was later, between the XI and X centuries, which later it became the stronghold of Arab and then a Byzantine city and a Norman city. In the fifteenth century saw the presence of a large Jewish community and, in the sixteenth century of an Albanian community.

Its importance in the seventeenth century is evidenced in the collection of prints and views of the Theatrum urbium praecipuarum mundi of G. Braun e F. Hogemberg, published in Colonia between 1572 and 1618.

The print of Tricarico dates back to 1605. The release of Tricarico dates back to 1605. The modern Tricarico is a city of art with an extensive collection of art and architecture.


TENUTE MANTEGNA - Vini della Basilicata - Contrada Piani - 75022 Irsina (Matera) Italia - tel. e fax. +39 0835 629302 p.iva 01125080778 - made in Adimark